Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fall Is a Great Time to READ!

Of course is there ever a bad time? I don't think so.

I can't believe it's been a year since I last added to this blog. I had such good intentions but the past year has been blur of author visits, programs, meetings, etc.

But enough about me--let's talk books.......

I just finished two great reads that I would highly recommend to anyone that likes good fiction. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, is a fascinating story set in the early 60's, about a white socialite in Jackson, MS who decides to capture the stories of various maids. Once she finally persuades more than one woman to tell her story, she meets in secret to interview them and then publishes it anonymously. I heard Stockett speak at Book EXPO this summer and she is a delightful woman. Would love to have her come to DM for a visit!

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by James Ford is another great read. Ford will be coming to the Central Library on October 13 so mark your calendar. This book is set in the 40's and is a beautifully written, innocent love-story between a young Chinese boy and a Japenese girl. Their friendship causes the boy to be disowned by his stalwart father and gives insight to the country's atmosphere as the Japanese were herded into internment camps.

No comments: