Saturday, March 20, 2010

I Love Big Books!



If you love to read as much as I do, you already know how it feels to get that email notice from the library saying that the best-selling title you requested MONTHS AGO is finally on the hold shelf for you, right? You see, I love big books--the kind that just beckon you to spend a week-end immersed in their story, the kind that you wake up in the middle of the night just so you can read another chapter, the kind that takes both hands to hold! And such is the case with Stephen King's Under the Dome.

How DOES the guy come up with these ideas and then go on to develop such amazing explanations? And how does he think up all those characters--the kind that everyone recognizes, the wackos, the heros? So, while everyone was complaining about the three inches of March snow we got yesterday, I confess that I was secretly thinking, oh good--I have a great excuse for cuddling under the covers and reading!

I'm about a fourth of the way through it already and find that I am feeling a wee bit guilty for reading it rather than some of the books by our upcoming visiting authors. But, King is my pure entertainment reading, my guilty pleasure, in other words! Gotta go--the dome awaits me.

No comments: